V4@THEATRE CRITICS RESIDENCY 2016
This year´s Divadelná Nitra is featuring the theme: Ode to Joy? (past – present – future)
V4@Theatre Critics Residency 2016 is a creative hub for 12 young theatre critics from 7 countries during the festival Divadelná Nitra. For 6 days, they will work together with Mr Patrice Pavis (France) as their mentor, mediator and facilitator. Participants follow all performances of the main programme and selected performances of the accompanying programme and present the current situation in the performing arts scene in their country.
Katsiaryna Yaromina (Belarus)
Barbora Etlíková (Czech Republic)
Martin Macháček (Czech Republic)
Judit Katalin Hollós (Hungary)
Kristóf Farkas (Hungary)
Rusanda Curca (Moldova)
Kamila Łapicka (Poland)
Marta Kacwin-Duman (Poland)
Dominika Široká (Slovakia)
Alžbeta Rusnáková (Slovakia)
Iryna Golizdra (Ukraine)
Viktoria Shvydko (Ukraine)
23/9/2016 Arrival of participants before 14:00
14:30–17:30 First session with Mr Pavis and invitation to welcomed drink with Darina Karova at 17.30 in the Andrej Bagar Theatre – Studio, 1st floor.
18:30 Festival Opening performance Why Does Herr R. Run Amok?
21:00 Festival Dance Hall Night at the café and in the Studio of Andrej Bagar Theatre. You will be able to dance to the music played by the group La3No Cubano. The night will be hosted by: Ludwig Bagin and Jakub Rybárik. You are cordially invited.
With regard to this year´s Festival theme Ode to Joy? – we kindly asked participants to bring a small symbolic present that could give someone joy. It does not have to be a “material present“, it may be a song, an act or a public commitment that may please or help somebody. There will be a special moment during the night when participants may present their “gift“.
8:30–13:00 Work time (internal meetings with Mr Pavis, hotel Oko – conference room)
10.00 – 12.30 Breakfast with… the authors of productions from the preceding day and members of the V4@Theatre-Divadelná Nitra Critics Residency Project 2016 led by Patrice Pavis (on 28th September Breakfast with…finishes at 13:00).
Presentations of participants´ countries:
On 24th Sept/Saturday – Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland
On 26th Sept/Monday – Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine, Hungary.
13:00–15:30 Lunch break, free time
From 15:30 onwards – performances
29/9/2016 Departure of participants
What to expect during the V4@Theatre Critics Residency?
Residency mentor Patrice Pavis: We will take the different performances as a point of departure for our discussion and analysis. The main questions will be:
- How to approach such a specific performance and what kind of performance analysis is possible?
- What knowledge do we need to receive a performance and react to it?
- What tools are available to analyze, or simply discuss, a performance?
- What is the difference between a performance and a mise en scène?
- What is your own practice of criticism and theory?
What is expected and required from the participants:
- The ability, but also readiness, to discuss a performance, beyond the subjective point of view.
- The possibility to write reviews/articles for the festival purposes; to compare different types of discourses.
- The ability to study and use a theoretical notion, chosen in cooperation with the mentor, a notion which can possibly be discussed within the group.
- The willingness to co-chair, with the residency mentor, one of the public talks.
- The possibility to reflect on your own theatrical context at home (both for plays and performances).
- Evaluation of the theoretical and cultural discourse at home and in other countries.
- Description of the role of a dramaturge in your context in your country and in other countries?
- The evaluation of the status of the author in theatre in your country and of the relationship author–dramaturge–director–performer.
- The connection, in your country, between theatre practice and theory. How does this resonate in your own practice and what impact does it have on your reflection on theatre?