THIS IS ART, TOO project

The Festival comes with the initiative This Is Art, Too which stirs up the discussion about the relationship between contemporary human being and their cultural heritage, and focuses not just on the proven historical monuments bur also on the contemporary works. Within this initiative several object in Nitra are marked with a special sign This Is Art, Too, Projec together with the object description.

 

Project is prepared and realised by Divadelná Nitra Association in co-operation with BUNKA, the Project for Contemporary Art 

 See the photo gallery of objects we have yet marked:

 

Secession house, pedestrian zone

1904 /1905

The building was constructed between 1904 and 1905 as the new seat of the Nitrianska ústredná banka (Nitra Central Bank), the second oldest bank in Nitra. The ground floor was the seat of the bank subbranch, and on the above floors there were flats. The building is one of the architectonically and aesthetically most valuable houses of the Lower Town. It is an example of quality architecture of the early 20th century with features of secession and the incoming modern built for wealthier citizens.
Source: www.nitra.sk

 

 

Main Post Office Building

1931, architect: Josef Marek

The object was built for the purposes of the Post and Telegraph Office in Nitra in a place surrounded by one-story houses as one of the first functionalistic and administrative buildings in town. It represents a typical example of a post office building from interwar years of the 20th century, with a clear expression of functional units in its architecture. Its architectural project was designed in 1928 by Josef Marek, a Czech architect working in Slovakia. The building of the object was finished in 1931. Ever since it has served as the main post office and has almost completely preserved its authentic form.
Source: www.nitra.sk.

 

Residential District Chrenová 1

Michal Maximilián Scheer (1962)
 

Chrenová 1 was the first residential complex to cross the Nitra river. The author of this still notable whole is Michal. M. Scheer. Even though some of the author’s original intentions were not realised (e.g. construction of some additional civic amenities and some visual art realisations), this complex is one of the most notable ones in Slovakia. What catches your attention at first sight is an atypical layout of four-story buildings which are arranged into honeycomb structures, as well as 14-story Y-shaped buildings. “As for the four-story objects – they are loosely unfolded, but at the same time they are not – they are distributed in three groups, A-B-C, the basic hexagon shapes vary from a closed shape to its various open forms. I made them copy the bend of the river and thus created green strips on both sides of the river. A prevailing part of the open ‘courtyards’ are oriented towards the river and the city. In my urban-architectonic solution of the complex I put emphasis on its organic integration into the existing urban built-up area so that it would not disturb the classical silhouette of the castle hill and the castle viewed from the main town access routes.” This is how the author himself described his work.
source: www.urbanita.sk

 

Complex of „Landscape Residential Buildings“

1928, František Krupka


The residential complex is formed by four parallel rows of four-story buildings. The objects are composed as solitaires, only the rearmost row of houses forms a whole. The houses have smoothly plastered facades, stone socles and red chambranles. The entrances leading to the individual stairways are accentuated by portals with red ceramic facing tiles. The same facing tiles are used on the fence pillars. A peculiarity of the complex are cellars located behind the back facades of the individual buildings. They are formed by base parts with small windows and wooden superstructures covered with tent-shaped roofs.
 

State Burgher School
(currently Prince Pribina Elementary School)
 
Oskar Singer
 
This functionalistic structure has an asymmetrical three-winged floor plan and resembles the Bauhaus building which was an inspiration for its pure, non-decorative shapes. Asymmetry as a result of fulfilling the functional requirements, as well as the aesthetic principle had been employed to yield outcomes which are only present in a few structures of this period. The entrance is located nontypically at the corner (facing town centre); the main flight of stairs opens towards the big side foyer. Classrooms have windows facing the courtyard, to the right from the entrance there is a distinctive wing with the gymnasium. In line with contemporary habits, a villa for the headmaster was built behind the school (facing the Wilsonovo nábrežie Street). The villa has a simple, cubic shape with a distinctive semicircular roof covering the entrance. The complex also includes a workers’ club. In addition to the State Burgher School building, Singer also designed a number of functionalistic villas in Nitra (e.g. Villa K and the House of Dr. R., both on Kmeťka Street).
 
 
Residential complex Párovce

1956 - 1963 Michal Maximilián Scheer
 
The axis of the residential complex is formed by the Štúrova Street. Perpendicuar to the latter lie residential buildings combined with shops, services and administrative buildings. Two types of buildings are used most frequently – a tall square building with a concave-curved roof of the roof superstructure and an oblong section house. The housing project was not realised to the planned extent. An interesting achievement is the transformation of the Rolfes’s Mine – after planting vegetation and complementing the mine with minor architecture, it is now used as a place for relaxation. The urban composition and architectonic expression of the buildings is what makes the housing estate a typical example of late modern style.

 
Slovak University of Agriculture campus
 
1961 – 1966, architects: Vladimír Dedeček and Rudolf Miňovský
 
The Slovak University of Agriculture (SPU) complex was built between 1961 and 1966 based on a project created by architects Vladimír Dedeček and Rudolf Miňovský. It ranks among the highest-quality objects of Slovak post-war modernism. The task the author and his team were faced with was not easy – first of all there were long talks about where to place the whole complex. It was eventually located on the grounds of a former airport. Since its construction, the work has been a dominant feature of the city. Thanks to its circular floor plan, the university assembly hall became a characteristic feature of the whole complex which prides itself in its title of “the greatest building of the 20th century in Slovakia” and recently it has been declared a national cultural monument. Vladimír Dedeček’s portfolio includes several other school buildings and campuses in Slovakia.
 
 
Residential Building Triangolo
 
2008, architets: Ivan Matušík, Sebastian Nagy
 

Triangolo was designed by Ivan Matušík, one of the most outstanding architects in Slovakia, and young architect Sebastián Nagy. Nitra hilly area, the Zobor hill and Nitra river meander have become the main sources of inspiration for the building. The city’s natural dominants have met to help create a dominant architectural object. Naturally, an important factor was the shape of the building plot which predetermined the building’s atypical floor plan. The choice of materials finally underlined the authors’ intention.
Source: http://www.snaatelier.sk

 
 
 
 
 
Frog Fountain
 
1935, author: Július Bártfay
 
The author of the frog fountain in the City Park is Július Bártfay, native of Nitra. The fountain was built in 1935. Bártfay studied sculpture in Paris and later in Rome. In 1930 he settled down in Nitra where he created several works of sculpture.
 
 
 
 

Festival supported by